Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there is a new topic and this week’s topic is: Top Ten Books I will Probably Never Read
A lot of bloggers seem to be using this topic to bash books or authors that they don’t (think they) like. I don’t think that’s what this topic was meant for. My list consists of books that I have no prejudices against, but for some reason or another I don’t think they’d be a good fit for me. As the day progresses, I would just urge bloggers and readers alike to be respectful of others’ opinions. Not everyone has to like the same books!
1) Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien – I liked the movies pretty good, but they were so long! Because the movies were so long it makes me feel like reading the books will take a really long time too. I just have a lot of other books that I’d like to read and so I don’t feel like I can really take the time to read this series.
2) Anything by Stephen King – I’m such a scaredy cat! I got scared just reading the Wikipedia entries about Carrie and The Shining. I definitely do not think I would be able to handle reading a full length book from him.
3) Les Misérables by Victor Hugo – I think both my siblings have read this one and again–just so long! Along with Lord of the Rings, it’s hard for me to justify taking so much time to read a book when I already know the storyline (because I’ve seen the movie) and I have so many other books that I want to read!
4) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn – I know a lot of people like this book and it’s received a lot of hype but reading the book summary didn’t make me want to read it. Suspense/Thriller/Mystery aren’t normally genres that I read anyway so I probably won’t get around to reading this.
5) Moneyball by Michael Lewis – Loved the movie, but probably won’t read the book. No particular reason, just not really interested.
6) Coraline by Neil Gaiman – I’ve seen part of the movie and it kind of creeped me out to be honest. So, not interested in this one either.
7) Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger – I tried reading this book in high school, but there was just too much language in it for me. I try to steer clear of books with a lot of profanity in it. Just not something that I enjoy.
8) Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell – Another language issue for me. I tried reading it, but ended up putting it down after a few pages.
9) Wicked by Gregory Maguire – I seriously don’t know what it is about this one. I’m someone who LOVES re-tellings/re-imaginings of stories but I’ve never had the desire to get into this one! I’m not even that interested in seeing the musical. I mean, I’d go see it, but I can live with not.
10) Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi – Another one that I know a lot of people love, but the summary just doesn’t interest me. I could actually see myself eventually reading this series, but with all of the books that I have lined up…probably not.
Do you agree with any of the books that I’ve listed? Are there any that I should seriously reconsider?